If you’ve ever tried to get rid of pesky peach fuzz or just sick of shaving than you’ve probably heard of sugaring. But what is sugaring and is it really that different than waxing? Keep on reading to find out why you should ditch the razor and painful wax for something a little sweeter.
What is sugaring?
Sugaring is an ancient form of hair removal that involves pulling hair out of the roots using a mixture of sugar, hot water, and lemon. It is considered one of the first forms of epilation (the removal of hair by the roots.) Some sources have sugaring dating back to the Middle East around 1900 BC.
How is sugaring different than waxing?
Waxing is the form of epilation that you are probably most familiar with, (other than shaving or laser hair removal.) While waxing can remove hair, it also removes skin, which can cause serious irritation. Sugaring is made up of natural materials which do not stick to the skin, only to the hair – leaving the skin less irritated, softer, and hair free.
The sugar paste is also removed from the hair in the same direction as the hair grows, which allows the mixture to grab the whole hair follicle without breaking it. Whereas, waxing is removed in the opposite direction of the hair growth, causing the follicle to break and leave a part of the hair strand behind.
What are the benefits of sugaring?
- Less painful than waxing
- Less expensive than laser hair removal
- Leaves skin less irritated
- Leaves skin soft
- Leaves skin hair-free longer than traditional waxing, because removing hair in the same direction as the hair follicle results in total hair removal and less follicle breakage
- Less chance for ingrown hairs
- Great for sensitive skin or skin areas like around the face and lips
- Sugar mixture is made up of natural materials
- Easy cleanup – just wash off with soap and water or a moist towelette.
In addition to our full lineup of cosmetic services like custom veneers, teeth whitening, Botox and facial fillers, Perfect Smile Tulsa is pleased to now offer new spa services like sugaring, dermaplaning, lash & brow tinting and facials.
If you’d like to book an appointment for sugaring or one of our many other cosmetic services, call us at 918-212-8300 or click the “Request Appointment” button at the top of the page.